Saturday, April 4, 2009

Hooray For Iowa

The Iowa Supreme Court ruled, in a unanimous decision, that a state law limiting marriage to a man and a women is unconstitutional. Iowa joins Massachusetts and Connecticut in allowing same-sex vows.

I always knew Iowa was a great state to call home. My roots run deep in Iowa soil. Even though I have lived in Florida for 36 years, when someone asks me where I'm from, I always say Iowa.

Iowa has always been a progressive state. It has one of the best educational systems in the country and right now it is the number two state in wind powered energy production. The windmills standing in all the corn fields produce 12% of the state's energy needs. Last year they were able to sell power to North Carolina and they are just getting started.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I agree to all your comments. Our brother can sit in his family room and watch the windmills turn. It is a site to see. The education system is outstanding.

I agree that the courts giving the rights to gays to marry is a great step in the right directions. I believe that it is their right to have the same opportunities as everyone else. People are trying to get the legislature to call a vote to over turn the courts decision saying this is how all Iowans feel. I say no it isn't.