Sunday, October 18, 2009

Achoo!

Miss Manners addressed the topic of sneezing in today's paper. She is against the sneezing into the crook of your arm that health officials are advocating. Although it is better than releasing your germs into the air or into your hands, Miss Manners wants everyone to carry a clean handkerchief with them at all times. It should be kept within easy reach, in and outside pocket or tucked into the cuff or decolletage. After you use it, you should put it back for future use. Yeah right - I'm going to stick a snotty little piece of cloth between my boobs and carry it there all day?

Miss Manners is also against the practice of hugging and kissing as a way of greeting. This I agree with. She feels that the proper way to greet someone is just a handshake. This I don't agree with.

I stopped shaking hands a long time ago when I played tennis. It is really gross to play three sets of tennis in ninety degree weather and then have to shake someone's sweaty hand.

I understand handshaking. The open palm shows the other person that you have no weapons and come in peace. The problem is that you never know where that other hand has been...... does everyone wash their hands after they go to the bathroom? How many people have just picked their nose? You get the picture. So, I will not be shaking your hand when next I meet you. It's not because I'm not glad to see you, it's just that I don't know what you have been doing with that hand.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I agree with you on sneezing in the elbow thing. With a six year old, I would rather he sneeze in his hands and then go wash his hands. Perhapes this is wrong, but I would rather that then carry around live germs for up to three hours onhis shirt. Have you seen first graders, they cant keep their hands and arms to themselfs and they are more likely to hug each other then give a firm hadn shake.