Monday, August 11, 2008

More on the Olympics

The Olympics are all consuming. I can’t get anything else done (not that I really have anything else to do). In every Olympics I usually find some off beat sport and just fall in love with it. In the Winter Olympics it’s Curling. I love Curling! I haven’t found that quirky sport yet this year although I kind of like the guys with the shotguns and the little pink clay pigeons. The Archery is really cool also. I have tried to watch Badminton but, like Ping Pong, I don’t see the point. Are these guys even athletes? Do they lift weights or run to train for this. Really, how much does a shuttlecock weigh?

My favorite events are Diving and the Cross Country and Jumping Equestrian events. I can’t wait to see them.

World records are being broken at an alarming rate in the pool and I expect that will be the case also when Track & Field starts. This makes me wonder – is there a limit? Just how fast can a human swim, run or jump? Is there a point somewhere in time when the body will say “I can do no more” or will evolution create some kind of super human that knows no limits?

I guess France will think twice before it "trash talks" our swimmers again.

So far these games have exceeded my expectations. The Chinese people have been gracious and supportive of all the athletes and that puts a real big feather in their cap.

And then there is George. He is everywhere. Tell me – who is having more fun at these games than George?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the weightlifting. I miss the old days with the enormous Soviet weightlifters.