Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tax Savings?

Last November, the good citizens of Florida passed Amendment One. This was an attempt to lower property taxes – something this state really needs.

Essentially the amendment increased the Homestead Exemption from $25,000 to $50,000 and made the tax rate portable (which is immaterial since the real estate market is so bad you couldn’t sell you house if you wanted to).

The result of this was, City and County governments went ballistic. In anticipation of decreased revenue they implemented hiring freezes, cut programs, fired non essential personnel and raised fees on all services. There was lots of pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth. Our Sheriff told the County Commission that the result of the budget cuts to his department would be “carnage in the streets”.

So it was with great anticipation that I awaited my “Trim Notice”. The proposed property tax assessment that is sent out ahead of the actual bill. This compares last year’s assessment to this year’s. I was giddy with joy thinking of all the things I could buy with my savings.

BIG WOOP! I will save exactly $116.00. Guess I’ll get a tank of gas.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I to was underwelhmed by my savings, your not kidding about the tank of gas!

Dave said...

So the house, the "pool" and you are still there?

SonjaB said...

The storm was nothing, we're still here.