Friday, May 23, 2008

Running Mates

I am a Republican but I will very likely vote for Obama in November. I will NOT vote for him if he takes Hillary Clinton as his running mate.

John McCain is hosting three likely running mates at his ranch this weekend. One of them is Florida Governor Charlie Crist. I like Charlie. I have know Charlie for many years – since, way back when he was the President of one of our local Young Republican Clubs. Over the years he has matured political and I believe he would make a good Vice-President.

BUT

Charlie has only served one and a half years of a four year term as governor. I believe that when a person runs for office (any office) he is entering into a contract with the voters. He says, if you elect me I will serve you to the very best of my ability for the length of the term to which I am elected – not untill something better comes along.

Several years ago I worked on a campaign for a candidate for my local State Representative. My candidate was a retired executive. He had great managerial skills and a firm grasp of the issues. He was open minded and willing to listen to the concerns of the people in his district.

His opponent was a young good looking attorney with a pregnant wife. He was very well spoken but lacked a knowledge of some of the major issues. Shortly before the election his wife had their baby and he sent a mailing with a picture of the baby in all her cuteness – “Vote for my Daddy, I need diapers” – or some such message.

The race was very close and my guy lost by a very slim margin.

A few months later the newly elected, young representative quit to take a better job in government at the state level.

A new, expensive election had to be held – of course, we, the tax payers had to foot the bill.

So you see where I'm coming from? Don’t do it Charlie – fulfill your contract with Florida voters.

2 comments:

Pradeep Nair said...

Liked reading your post.... Well, Hillary shouldn't worry that if she is a vice president she wouldn't be in the limelight, that she would have just a back-up role. Coming to think of it, actually it wouldn't be a role totally unfamiliar to her, for that's what she had been doing for eight long years when hubby Bill was in the White House. She is quite used to this sort backseat driving.. don't you think so?..

Sonja's Mom said...

pradeep, welcome to my blog. I agree with your backseat driving comment. I also suspect she would accomplish about as much as she did as First Lady - which was nothing.