Thursday, April 24, 2008

It's All About The Money

I just finished reading John Grisham's The Appeal. It's about the buying of a seat on the Mississippi Supreme Court. Although it's fiction, it's not to far off the mark. When I worked for a political consulting firm one of the first questions we ask a potential candidate was, how much money do you have - how much can you raise? Believe me - elections can be bought. The best man does not always win. How do we fix it? I don't know. Every attempt at election reform seems to fail.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Not that it will happen; but, take away the time and the money.

You can't register to run till say June 1 of the election year. You also can't raise money till then. Collect and spend all you want till August 1. Then the primary elections are all held on the same day.

The victors:

Spend all you want until the first Tuesday in November when the general election is held.

Sonja's Mom said...

Dave
Sounds good to me. I also thing they should not be able to accept any contributions from lobbists or PAC's.